Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I realize that there's a difference in the process of producing something and absorbing something. when i'm producing something, i can't have music in the background. when i'm absorbing something, i can. in fact, it might help sometimes.
when i produce something, i can't stay there for long. i need constant breaks. and if i've been producing for some time, i need a long long break.. either i produce something of another genre, or i absorb instead.
i can absorb something for a longer period of time if it's fresh material. old material makes me bored after a while. haha.
------------------------------------------------
hehee. psycholinguistics is a fascinating area in psychology to me :) it could possibly be due to the fact that my favourite lecturer loves that area, it could also possibly be due to my familarity with the material. hahaa. quite excited to revise what i've learned about this area in early lang development (my 3rd module by my fav prof!) and in bilingualism (i'm interested to hear what they've got to say about this area since my whole independent project was on bilingualism). hahaa.
my specific interest lies more in the area of phonology (phonological representation of chinese consonants in english L1 and chinese L1 speakers was the area i was exploring for my irp). hahaha. i get quite sensitive to the way people talk and pronounce due to the fact that i was critically analyzing how my subjects spoke in the experiments i conducted. hahahaa.
Dr Tan is continuing on what i've explored 2 semesters ago.. she said she's doing something along those lines and requested the sound files from me. hopefully she'll be able to do a better job in analysing the data (my spss skills are not exactly the best) and will be able to contribute much to the relatively untouched area of bilingualism in the very young field of psycholinguistics. imagine a breakthrough in the understanding in that field and part of the credits given to you! woohoo.
singapore is a great place to explore this 'cos of our bilingual environment. hahaa. what an apt place we are placed in :)

No comments: