Thursday, June 16, 2011


I watched Jane Eyre today :) caught the 10.30am show at Lido. Was pleasantly surprised to see that Lido has been renovated, and it certainly is classier and much more comfortable than it was before. having said that, combo no.4 (which comprised of a hot dog bun and a drink) was really quite terrible for the price that it asked for.
I liked the movie. quite a bit actually :) I liked the foreboding undercurrents that played through the movie, and the muted colours of the victorian age. i thought to myself about how nice it would be to be in that age, and then upon seeing how they deal with the kids then, i decided that it was good that i was not belonging to that period of time.
i enjoyed Jane's spunkiness and resilience through life and circumstances, and the conversations she has with the people around her. i like her steelness and her stillness, and pretty much enjoyed how the film played out in the end. it was not easy to catch some of the words due to the accent though, and the lack of subtitles were not exactly helpful.
i actually quite like the dynamism between Mr Rochester and her.. and here's a snippet of one of the most critical dialogues in the show (and no, it won't spoil the movie for u.. 'cos the acting out of the dialogue was intricately done, and could only be witnessed properly through the viewing of the movie) and i quite like the dynamism of it.

Rochester: I know you; you're thinking. Talking is of no use, you're thinking how to act.
Jane Eyre: All has changed sir. I must leave you.
Rochester: No. No. Jane do you love me.
[Jane nods]
Rochester: Then the essential things are the same. Be my wife.
Jane Eyre: You have a wife.
Rochester: I pledge you my honor, my fidelity...
Jane Eyre: You cannot.
Rochester: ...my love until death do us part.
Jane Eyre: What of truth?
Rochester: I would have told you the truth.
Jane Eyre: You are deceitful sir.
Rochester: I was wrong to deceive you. I see that now, it was cowardly. I should have appealed to your spirit as I do now. Bertha Antoinette Mason, she was wanted by my father for her fortune. I hardly spoke with her before the wedding. I lived with her for 4 years. Her temper ripened, her vices sprang up, violent and unchaste. Only cruelty would check her and I'd not use cruelty. I was chained to her for life Jane. Not even the law could free me. Have you ever set foot in a mad house Jane?
Jane Eyre: No sir.
Rochester: The inmates are caged and bated like beasts. I spared her that at least. Jane?
Jane Eyre: Yes I pity you sir.
Rochester: Who would you offend by living with me? Who would care?
Jane Eyre: I would.
Rochester: You would rather drive me to madness than break some mere human law.
Jane Eyre: I must respect myself.
Rochester: Listen to me. Listen. I could bend you with my finger and my thumb. A mere reed you feel in my hands. But whatever I do with this cage, I cannot get at you, and it is your soul that I want. Why can't you come of your own free will?
Jane Eyre: God help me.

:)
After Jane Eyre (dun expect an action flick though), i went down to Cineleisure for 2 more movies :X Pirates of the Caribbean, and Kungfu Panda 2 :D Pirates was entertaining with its beautiful visuals (once again), as well as the well planned moves of Jack Sparrow in all his nonsensical wittiness. haha. i liked Kungfu Panda 2's slant towards focusing on his past, of making sense of his past and finding his own identity, as well as the msg of how he may not have come from a good past, but it's what he does in the future that matters more. i like that msg, and i believe it would resonate with quite a few of us as well :)
i also finished the book i was reading "more than it hurts you" (which I've been trying to finish since bringing it to Japan. haha). it touched on Münchausen syndrome by proxy which was new and fresh to me (and a rather scary thought actually). and it does sound like a disorder, to be honest. was interesting :) the writing style was not particularly polished though. thought it could have been wtitten better. it was a gripping subject at any rate :)

No comments: