Thursday, July 29, 2004

"Now then, just as the LORD promised, he has kept me [Caleb] alive for forty-five years since the time he said this to Moses, while Israel moved about in the desert. So here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I'm just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the LORD promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but, the LORD helping me, I will drive them out just as he said" (Joshua 14:10-12, NIV).

Caleb--quite a risk taker to be certain. In the words of the unknown writer:     
RISK     
To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.      
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.      
To reach out for another is to risk involvement.      
To place our ideas, our dreams, before a crowd is to risk their loss.      
To love is to risk not being loved in return.      
To live is to risk dying.      
To hope is to risk despair.      
To try is to risk failure.
"Risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. The person who risks nothing does nothing, has nothing, is nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love ...live. Chained by his certitude, he is a slave; he has forfeited freedom. "
What a privilege for us to be able to walk by faith in God Himself, armed with all the promises of His Word. I suppose we all desire the security of the solid tree trunk, but the fruit is out on the limb. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.The timid soul asks, 'What do I stand to lose if I do it?' The fruit-bearing Christians asks, 'What do I stand to lose if I don't do it?' Real life is lived on the cutting edge."

What will you and I risk for God and his work here on earth?

No comments: