Friday, October 07, 2011

Am reading up on transference (again).
saw this online:
"I am 46 and have been to several male therapists with whom I've had no transference. I feel as though he took advantage of my vulnerability and the fact that my relationship with my husband was unhealthy and screwed up at that time. He also would take me out to lunch regularly, tell me how he'd be "willing to take me out for a glass of wine", etc. There was never any touching between us."
--> O_O
what kind of therapist actually does that? that's BEYOND professional standards of counselling and therapy! no wonder the lady was having transference issues -_-

"The therapist as parent in this type of transference may have to endure some pretty strong anger from the patient. This is in part helpful because it allows the child to express feelings that were too dangerous to express in an abusive or neglectful setting. Once these feelings of anger and grief are expressed, the patient often feels a relief, as if he or she had actually confronted his own parents."
--> i once used this in a counselling session with a girl. sensed that she was transferring her experiences towards other friends towards me, along with constant rejection, a sort of a push and pull relationship of sorts.
not easy to have gone through that period of time (like have to consistently and constantly establish a routine and stable and accepting meetup for around 3 months). thank God that period of time is over and due to that, i could help her to make sense of the bullying in her life in the past.

typing this down sort of an account of what happened. haha

No comments: