Thursday, November 13, 2008

hahaha. i don't know why everyone's so interested in whether machines have consciousness.
seriously speaking, it doesn't bother me or capture my attention. molymeux's question was more enticing to me.
was googling to see if any kind soul has posted any questions on the pl4202 quiz online and found a few 'reviews' on the module.
Review #1:
I refer to this as my pseudo-philosophy class, since for the first half of the semester we were mired in terms such as dualism, consciousness, and other vague terms that did not hold my interest. It was mostly a talky class, with the lecturer interacting with a few outspoken students while the slower-brained ones (like myself) sat and watched the clock.

I really dislike false advertising in IVLE module outlines, and I didn’t realise it was going to degenerate into a giant discussion session. At least some history got taught, in the form of dates, notable contributions and so on, but it didn’t make up the bulk of the module. While it’s an effective module in terms of making the students think critically and deeply, it does not satisfy my criterion of “can I score”. I’m sorry, but if employers only want to see the triangular letters and have no interest in how well I can argue for a functionalist perspective on machine AI, then I shall only focus of the ability of the module to fulfill that criterion. I’d recommend this module to others only if they really love talking in class, or have a high enough CAP to make up for the shortfall this module may cause.

review #2:
firstly, something interesting was raised by prof elliot in history and systems of psychology seminar today. for once in a long time i was actually thinking hard about something. in case u think it's an interesting class, no it's not. it's boring like mad. thong can sleep under the nose of the prof throughout the lesson and no one will notice. half the time basically consists of the ongoing dialogue between prof elliot and a certain guy in class (by this i mean just the two of them) and the rest of the class either sleep or pretend to understand. but once in awhile interesting topics like today's will be fed to the class, and at least it's interesting as compared to anything else possible to happen in that class...

haha! so it's not only our semester who sees a lecture conversing for one hour in class with an extremely talkative guy while the rest of us try to keep on track and keep awake :)
but i do enjoy the module actually. i like the philosophy part. and i like how the textbook is written. it's super funny. haha. i don't quite understand the flow of his notes though:S

No comments: