Sunday, May 19, 2013

I only realized what I've been robbed of when we had great praise and worship today. I realized that I've been robbed of my freedom to express who I am as a person due to the criticisms given by other people. And it's been happening over a long period of time.
If what I'm doing does not stumble, and seeks to glorify God, and is due to a difference in preference, then from today onwards, I pledge to defend that right to express and I will not be robbed of the joy in expressing God in the manner in accordance to who God has created me to be.

2 Samuel 6:20-23
20 When David returned home to bless his household, Michal daughter of Saul came out to meet him and said, “How the king of Israel has distinguished himself today, going around half-naked in full view of the slave girls of his servants as any vulgar fellow would!”
21 David said to Michal, “It was before the Lord, who chose me rather than your father or anyone from his house when he appointed me ruler over the Lord’s people Israel—I will celebrate before the Lord. 22 I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes. But by these slave girls you spoke of, I will be held in honor.”
23 And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death.

The first comment that David returned from dancing wildly before God was that he received a critical comment from Saul. And that comment was due to a perception from Saul. I know not the intention of Saul, and I would think to the others, it would really have seen rather ridiculous at that moment, but I know that God honours David's celebration before Him, and it was not vile, but rather, honoured in God's eyes.

I am surrounded by people vastly different from me, of whom will have different forms of expresssions from me. I don't go around commenting and criticizing other people's ways of worship or praise as I understand that everyone has a different manner. 

But I guess it arises as I would have the tendency to evaluate my own actions before responding to the criticism. so when the timing has passed, it's slightly weird to mention it once again. BUT, I find that it affects me beyond that day, and slowly robs me of the joy in being with God's people, or robs me from enjoying just being myself in the presence of God's people. I get distracted with my actions, and instead, am unable to minister well to others. So I guess, it has to be an area I need to watch out for too.

No comments: