Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Found this comment on one of the comment on one of the websites: As an adult living with ADHD, I find this site somewhat depressing for me. First of all, I did struggle though college, but I made it though(Oh, and I was diagnosed when I was 5 years old too). It first occured to me that maybe I should get help with my disorder when I was a senior in college. I was the student who the A students came to when they had a question about something. However, I was the one who made B's and C's, yet I studied and understood the core concepts just as much as an A student did. My problem got alot worse when I hit the real world, and it almost got fired from my first real job that I had. I was eventually forced to get help, and I decided to take medication. My life is now 100 times better than it was before. I take meds, and I recieve counseling. While medication isnt a cure all nor an end all, it certainly helps. Also, many people believe that medication turns an ADHD person into a normal person, and that the fun side of them goes away too. It did no such thing to me, and people have told me that I am a funner person to be around. What makes this site depressing to me is the fact that so many spouses just seem to vent about their ADHD husband. If I would have read this site before I got help and meds, It would have sent me into an even deeper depression than the rut I was already in. Nevertheless I am beyond that, and I am a much stronger person. But I have to advocate for the ADHD single man or woman, or the ADHD man or woman in a relationship. When they or their spouse come across this website looking for relationship help, what are they going to think/expect? ADHD is NO EXCUSE for violent behavior or criminal behavior. But from what many have written on here, it seems like the word ADHD is synonomous for the words violent and criminal. I even saw one post that basically was telling any non-ADDer in a relationship just to cut and run. Domestic violence is a problem that affects ADD and non ADD people, and people of all walks of life, income, and race. I think its dumb to judge a whole group of people with a condition based on what you experianced with one person. And I also have to question how much of that was caused by ADHD, and how much was caused by the things that cause domestic violence in non-ADHD people. If ADHD has done one thing for me that I like, it has given me an excuse to allways try to find room for improvement in life. Also, be sure and read the positive aspects of this disorder.

No comments: